Thursday, May 6, 2010

Historical Background

photo by: * Nina *

I cannot clearly remember the day that I started reading poetry but I think it was when I was really young. My mom used to sing nursery rhymes to me and I would sing along with her. I would always read Dr. Seuss books when I was in elementary school and I would love them because he would make up unfamiliar words that would rhyme. My favorite books by him were “Cat in the Hat,” “The Foot Book,” “Green Eggs and Ham” and “The Lorax.” When I was in the fifth grade I started writing poetry. I wrote a poem titled “Springtime” that was published in Anthology of Poetry by Young Americans and also in A Celebration of Young Americans. The last time I wrote a poem was last year for my English I class that described Black History Month.
Since then I have not written much poetry which I strongly regret because I love writing poetry. I like how each poem has their own way of saying what they need to say without just coming out and telling it directly. When I read poetry it causes me to have mental images that show me what is happening in the poem. I am going to try to start writing again because sometimes poetry inspires me to write my own poems and other times I have that inspiration inside of me to just write and get my feelings out. Even though I have not written poetry in a while I do hear it every day. Music is another big part in my life. I love hearing different types of music because each song has its own story behind it and the feelings and emotions that are put into it are just like poetry. The singer is like the poet who wants you to relate with them the meaning of the song or poem.
For me poetry has become from easy to confusing. Since poetry has been written for a long time all of the different words from different time periods are hard to understand but learning how to uncover the hidden meanings will also help me in other complicated poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers